I’ve mentioned before that I’d like to occasionally post things not adoption-related, and this is one of those posts. On an average day, I love to shop, but on Black Friday, I shop like it’s my job. (DISCLAIMER: family comes first on Thanksgiving, always. I refuse to put shopping over family time. What I’m talking about comes after that.) In case you haven’t done Black Friday shopping before, or just want to be better at it, here is a strategy (and survival) guide for you!
SURVIVING BLACK FRIDAY
- DO YOUR RESEARCH. Decide in advance what items you are looking for and which stores you want to go to. Then, make your list. I also like to note the time that each sale begins and put them in chronological order. (I told you I take this seriously! 🙂 ) While compiling this research, it’s also a good time to make sure that the “deals” you want are actually good deals. Search the items online to see their prices at other stores. Many stores will price match on Black Friday, too, so that could also be noted on your list and be used to your advantage. (Bring the other store’s ad with you if you plan to price match.)
- SHOP ONLINE. My goal has become, if possible, to not leave the house during my Black Friday shopping. Most stores put the majority of their sales, if not all of them, online. Often, you can even get free shipping. No standing in the cold, no waiting in long lines, no fighting crazy people. It’s glorious. (However — some stores will not do this with their doorbusters, so that’s where the research step comes in.) **If you shop online, you should also first search Google for promo codes, and go to Ebates to see if you can get extra cash back on your purchase. I LOVE Ebates!!
- IF YOU DO VENTURE OUT, BE PREPARED. Caffeine up before you go! (Starbucks has special Black Friday hours!) Bring a jacket and a crossbody or light purse. I’d also recommend bringing a snack and drink. Wear comfortable clothes (especially shoes). This isn’t the time to look cute. It’s business.
- CHARGE YOUR PHONE. You will likely spend lots of time in lines, so naturally, you’ll want to have the battery life to browse the Internet and possibly Postmates breakfast to yourself. You can also use it to price-check, find online coupons, and/or complain to your best friend about the lady who just took the LAST blender and how you want to CUT her.
- BRING A SHOPPING BUDDY. It can be scary out there. Also, you’ll be doing some amazing people-watching, and you need someone to share it with. If your buddy is a male, just make sure he will get something out of this too. Otherwise, he’ll complain the whole time. Just trust me on that. You can always tell him you’ll stop at Lowe’s at the end, or get him a Hardee’s biscuit or something if he’s good. 🙂
I haven’t fully prepared myself yet, but some of the Black Friday deals I’m most excited about are at these stores:
ULTA – Ulta’s sale starts online Thursday at 6 pm CT, and stores open Thursday at 6 pm. I’m especially excited about the $7.99 BedHead jumbo shampoos, 50% off Hot Tools, & $15 Benefit Beauty Blowout! There’s even a $15 Art of Shaving starter kit for the men. So many great deals! I usually shop at Sephora, but Ulta has better Black Friday deals, in my opinion.
SAM’S CLUB – Opens at 7 am Friday with in-store special savings, or online on Thanksgiving with free shipping. I LOVE my Roomba, and the Roomba 655 robot vacuum is $70 off! (now $269.98). I found a gorgeous 7 ft flocked Christmas tree for $129.88. There are also lots of really great deals on 4K TVs.
TARGET– Doors open at 6 pm Thursday, or online starts at 1 am Thursday with free shipping. Check this ad out for yourself – there are way too many good deals to list! I’ll be looking for the Powerbeats 2 wireless headphones ($89.99 instead of $199.99), 50% off board games, and 30% off all apparel and shoes! There are also great deals on Apple products, and various baby items. I hear the deals on toys are good too, but I don’t have much to compare those to yet.
MADEWELL – Black Friday / Cyber Monday sale + free shipping!
JCREW – In stores & online: 30%–40% OFF Holiday ready styles & EXTRA 30% OFF SALE STYLES.**Use code FESTIVE. PLUS an extra 50% off final sale!
I would love to hear any great Black Friday deals you’ve found in the comments section below. Happy shopping, but most of all — HAPPY THANKSGIVING!!!!